Chronic inflammation is believed to be a root cause in many serious and debilitating health issues, and so we at PRH want to provide you with some tips on how to reduce chronic inflammation and bolster your health.
Inflammation is our body’s natural immune response to an injury or exposure to harmful stimuli, and chronic inflammation occurs when that initial response does not resolve itself. Chronic inflammation can be caused by many different things, but the most common root cause is poor diet, also making it an easy condition to avoid!
When reducing inflammation, our aim is to move stagnant fluids out of our bodies. Keeping the body warm and well hydrated is the best way to facilitate this movement. Modifying your diet, wearing extra layers of clothing and finding time to steam or sauna are all great ways to move fluids and reduce inflammation.
Here are the basics of keeping an anti-inflammatory diet:
- Keep foods and drinks at or close to room temperature
- Exercise a minimum of four times per week
- Learn more about maintaining a diet to reduce inflammation here
Foods that help to flush out inflammation:
- Vitamin C (we recommend one Emergen-C per day)
- Turmeric supplement
- Yogi Detox Tea (steeped dark with two tea bags works best!)
- Unsweetened cranberry juice (1 oz./day)
- Epson salt soaks (3x’s/wk, 1-2 c. for 12 minutes min.)
Foods that increase inflammation:
- Wheat, dairy, sugar (especially processed sugars)
- Alcohol (especially beer due to its wheat content)
- Molds and fermented foods
- Excessive salt